Over the past few months, the New America Higher Education Program has collaborated with legal scholars, admission experts, and students to raise awareness of the importance of affirmative action and protect the rights of students of color to access an affordable and high-quality education.
The fallout of the Supreme Court's ruling will continue to reverberate throughout America's colleges and universities and beyond. Join us at New America's DC offices for two panel discussions with affirmative action experts and students. Together, we will explore what it could look like to ensure students from all walks of life, especially those from underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds, have an equal opportunity to access higher education and economic prosperity.
- Kevin Carey, Vice President, Education Policy and Knowledge Management
- Rachel Fishman, Acting Director, Higher Education
Prioritizing Racial Equity in Higher Education - A Panel Discussion with Affirmative Action Experts on Federal Policy Considerations
- David Mickey-Pabello, Ph.D.- Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of California, Los Angeles, and Harvard University
- David Hawkins - National Association for College Admission Counseling
- Mayah Lubin - Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Edward Smith, Ph.D. - Education Counsel
- Da’Shon Carr - New America, Higher Education (moderator)
Student Voices at the Center of Federal Policymaking - A Panel Discussion with UNC AAxn Coalition
- Christina Huang - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Joy Jiang - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Adela Zhang - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Sarah Zhang - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Olivia Cheche - New America, Higher Education (moderator)
Lunch will be provided for those who want to attend the discussions in person. Both panels will be live-streamed and available for participants to attend virtually.