Jan. 9, 2019
Every month, we feature the work and insights from current and past National Fellows. You’ll learn what books and longform articles our Fellows can’t put down and they will offer advice on common challenges for writers and filmmakers.
Read this month's newsletter and sign up today!
- July 2021: Cecilia Aldarondo on the global importance of Puerto Rico.
If you have any feedback, send us a note: FifthDraft@newamerica.org.
- June 2021: Brian Goldstone on the working homeless.
- May 2021: Yi-Ling Liu on writing human-centered narratives.
- April 2021: Bart Elmore on investigating large multinational firms.
- March 2021: Jude Joffe-Block on reporting on communities in crisis.
- February 2021: Marcia Chatelain on history as a tool for activism.
- January 2021: Trymaine Lee on his approach to storytelling.
- December 2020: Matthew Shaer on the pandemic and inequality.
- November 2020: Reuben Jonathan Miller on mass incarceration.
- October 2020: Katie Engelhart on empathy in reporting.
- September 2020: Meet the Class of 2021!
- August 2020: Josie Duffy Rice on justice and America.
- July 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 7: Raúl O. Paz-Pastrana on filmmaking and the myth of the "perfect migrant."
- June 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 6: Daniela Lamas on COVID-19, writing about medicine, and the value of taking notes.
- May 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 5: Vann R. Newkirk II on natural disasters, podcasting, and reporting on trauma.
- April 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 4: Sarah J. Jackson on Twitter movements, collaboration, and the power of media.
- March 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 3: Greg Barker on his new feature film, storytelling, and deeper truths.
- February 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 2: Ted Johnson on national solidarity, the military, and using twitter as a mini opinion column.
- January 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 1: Jessica Bruder on subcultures, journalistic collaboration and Edward Snowden.
- December 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 12: Trevor Aaronson on podcasts, Twitter and protecting sources.
- November 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 11: Molly Crabapple on the Jewish Labor Bund, an imagined future, and her collaborative process.
- October 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 10: Jill Filipovic on her work about abortion access in conflict and crisis zones.
- September 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 9: Clint Smith on reckoning with history and twitter.
- August 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 8: Reginald Dwayne Betts on his upcoming book of poetry and the state of the criminal justice system today.
- July 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 7: Chase Purdy on the future of meat.
- June 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 6: Eliza Griswold (2019 Pulitzer Prize Winner) on reporting on America.
- May 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 5: Rachel Aviv on writing about sensitive topics and character-driven reporting.
- April 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 4: Anne-Marie Slaughter on 20 years of storytelling at New America.
- March 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 3: Jeff Goodell on sea level rise, Antarctica, and climate change.
- February 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 2: Sara Hendren on how design is a bridge between the body and the world.
- January 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 1: Nikole Hannah-Jones on school segregation, Detroit and dealing with pressure.