Jan. 9, 2019
We are excited to launch this new monthly Fellows Program newsletter!The Fifth Draft is meant for you, our program’s supporters—fellow book lovers and storytellers—as well as our National Fellows.
Every month, we’ll feature the work and insights from current and past National Fellows. You’ll learn what books and longform articles our Fellows can’t put down and they will offer advice on common challenges for writers and filmmakers.
If you have any feedback, send us a note: FifthDraft@newamerica.org.
- February 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 2: Ted Johnson on national solidarity, the military, and using twitter as a mini opinion column.
- January 2020, Vol. 2, Issue 1: Jessica Bruder on subcultures, journalistic collaboration and Edward Snowden.
- December 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 12: Trevor Aaronson on podcasts, Twitter and protecting sources.
- November 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 11: Molly Crabapple on the Jewish Labor Bund, an imagined future, and her collaborative process.
- October 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 10: Jill Filipovic on her work about abortion access in conflict and crisis zones.
- September 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 9: Clint Smith on reckoning with history and twitter.
- August 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 8: Reginald Dwayne Betts on his upcoming book of poetry and the state of the criminal justice system today.
- July 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 7: Chase Purdy on the future of meat.
- June 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 6: Eliza Griswold (2019 Pulitzer Prize Winner) on reporting on America.
- May 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 5: Rachel Aviv on writing about sensitive topics and character-driven reporting.
- April 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 4: Anne-Marie Slaughter on 20 years of storytelling at New America.
- March 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 3: Jeff Goodell on sea level rise, Antarctica, and climate change.
- February 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 2: Sara Hendren on how design is a bridge between the body and the world.
- January 2019, Vol. 1, Issue 1: Nikole Hannah-Jones on school segregation, Detroit and dealing with pressure.