Please join us on Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at New America as we celebrate the close of the 2019 India-U.S. Fellows Exchange. The program will highlight the research of the Fellows, as well as insights from public interest technology experts.
As you may know, this program has brought Fellows from India to the United States and Fellows from the United States to India in order to devise novel technology-based solutions to policy challenges. The aim of this program has been to enable both countries to better harness technology to improve the lives of their citizens, and to improve and strengthen the bilateral relationship between India and the United States.
Please RSVP by Monday, March 11, 2019 using the link provided here.
Learn more about the 10 Fellows and their projects here.
10:30a-10:45a: Welcome & Introductions
10:45a-11:30a: In Conversation: Public Interest Technology in the United States & India
- Ravi Agrawal, author of India Connected: How the Smartphone is Transforming the World's Largest Democracy
- Cecilia Muñoz, VP for Public Interest Technology & Local Initiatives, New America
11:30a-12:15p: Public Interest Technology, Data & Governance
- Richard Abisla, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Subhodeep Jash, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Pranesh Prakash, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Moderator: Tara McGuinness, Senior Fellow & Senior Adviser, New America National Network & Public Interest Technology
12:15p-1:15p: Lunch Break
1:15p-2:00p: Regulation of Emerging Technology
- Aditya K. Kaushik, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Ananth Padmanabhan, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Tanvi Ratna, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Moderator: Yuliya Panfil, Senior Fellow & Director, Future of Property Rights
2:00p-2:45p: The Future of Public Interest Technology
- Maria Filippelli, Public Interest Technology Census Fellow, New America
- Kara Frederick, Associate Fellow for Technology & National Security, Center for a New American Security
- Moderator: Anish Goel, Senior Fellow, New America
2:45p-3:00p: Coffee/Chai Break
3:00p-3:45p: Ethics & Design of Public Interest Technology
- Joshua Simons, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Kaliya Young, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Moderator: Rebecca MacKinnon, Director, Ranking Digital Rights
3:45p-4:30p: India-U.S. Cooperation: Security & Information Sharing
- Sylvia Mishra, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Madhulika Srikumar, India-U.S. Fellow, New America
- Moderator: Sharon Bradford Franklin, Director of Surveillance & Cybersecurity Policy, Open Technology Institute
4:30p: Closing Reception