The inaugural Tech for Humanity Summit will feature discussions between national and global leaders about creating a human-centered and equitable technological future, and the responsibilities we can each assume as individuals and organizations to create that future.
Join the Livestream to access the keynotes and panel discussions throughout the day of June 29, 2023. All registrants will receive recordings of all sessions and curated resources following the event.
Funded by the Henry Luce Foundation and co-hosted by Virginia Tech and New America, this event will feature leaders from disparate sectors discussing questions of ethics, justice and human dignity in a technological world, inspiring attendees to stake a claim in shaping the future of technology.
The Summit will also inaugurate an annual “Tech for Humanity” Award recognizing transformational leadership in the domain of public interest technology. The inaugural 2023 prize will be awarded to Jennifer Pahlka, founder of Code for America.
10:30am - 12:00pm ET | Opening Keynote
- Shannon Raj Singh, Davis Genocide Prevention Fellow, former Human Rights Counsel at Twitter
12:00pm - 1:30pm ET | Break
1:30 - 3:00 pm ET | Panel 1: Strengthening Human Rights and Human Security amid Rising Techno-Nationalism
- Rishi Jaitly, Virginia Tech Fellow and formerly of Twitter and Google (moderator)
- Michael Zelenko, Executive Editor of Rest of World
- Christopher R. Harris, Crowdsourcing Evidence of War Crimes Project Lead, MITRE
- Amali Tower, Founder and Executive Director of Climate Refugees
- Sarnata Reynolds, Senior Director of Human Security and International Policy, Center for American Progress
3:00 - 3:15pm ET | Break
3:15 - 3:30pm ET| Tech for Humanity Award & Remarks
3:30 - 5:00pm ET | Panel 2: Equity and Dignity for a Global Workforce in the Age of Automation
- Sylvester Johnson | Director of the Tech for Humanity Initiative & New America Faculty Fellow (moderator)
- Lili Gangas, Chief Technology Community Officer, Kapor Center
- Laura Maristany, Maristany Strategies LLC, former VP External Affairs Bitwise Industries
- Robert Smith, Boeing Research & Technology
5:00pm ET | Closing Remarks