The September Transition
Welcoming the Class of 2023
Sept. 20, 2022
Today, we welcome 15 Class of 2023 National Fellows to New America. This class of National Fellows includes writers, podcasters, and scholars dedicated to enhancing conversations around the most pressing issues of our time.
Please join us in welcoming the Class of 2023; watch our class video and read their bios.
This month serves as both an inflection and reflection point as we look forward to supporting the professional journey of this new class while also pausing to reflect on the impact made by last year’s class.
Since last September, the Class of 2022 has had a remarkable year. They published and produced work that will shape our understanding of a number of pressing issues, including climate change, abortion bans, the housing crisis, and more.
We have compiled a list of highlights from their fellowship year. We hope you enjoy catching up on the work from the Class of 2022!
Highlights from the Class of 2022:
- Azam Ahmed worked on his book, A Small Solace, based on his New York Times Magazine story, which told the story of Miriam Rodriguez and her fight against a cartel.
- Keisha N. Blain was named both a 2022 Guggenheim Fellow in United States History and a 2022 Andrew Carnegie Fellow.
- Benoit Denizet-Lewis wrote about Rennie Davis, one of the Chicago Seven, for the New York Times "The Lives They Lived" section.
- Rose Eveleth wrote about the impact of climate change on patient health and the medical field for WIRED.
- Lauren Michele Jackson interviewed Tessa Thompson and Mariah Carey for Harper’s Bazaar cover articles.
- Mike Giglio wrote about Stewart Rhodes and the Oath Keepers for the Intercept.
- Myra Jones Taylor joined the Urban Institute as their Chief Policy Impact Officer.
- Sarah Kay appeared on the How To Be A Better Human podcast from TED to discuss her approach to poetry.
- Abrahm Lustgarten wrote a New York Times Magazine cover story about the economic and climate challenges facing Barbados.
- Francesca Mari wrote a cover article for the New York Times Magazine about skyrocketing real estate prices across the country.
- Julian Brave NoiseCat was awarded the American Mosaic Journalism Prize from the Heising-Simons Foundation.
- Janet Reitman wrote the cover story for the New York Times Magazine about former F.B.I. agent Terry Albury, who was convicted of leaking documents to the press.
- Anna Louie Sussman wrote for the New Yorker about what Americans can learn from activists working against Poland’s abortion ban.
- Justine van der Leun launched the podcast, Believe Her based on her research on the case of Nikki Addimado.
- Ellen D. Wu was elected a Fellow of the Society of American Historians.